At Algarve Outdoor Tours we have canceled all activities since 17th March until further notice, due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Since then we have followed our coronavirus policy and we have respected the new law with restrictions for business operations following the State of Emergency that the Portuguese President has issued.
Expectations are that somewhere in May 2020 we might be able to go into nature with groups again. It is clear that we need to follow new guidelines to avoid spreading the virus and to protect ourselves and you as our customers.
We have outlined below our Coronavirus policy for Outdoor Tours and Nature Activities.
We have screened every activity on how we interact with each other. We also looked at lunch places, transport and sharing equipment.
Wash your hands
We advise washing your hands with soap and water as much as possible and especially before and after touching our bike and helmet and entering our car.
If soap and water is not available please use alcohol based hand sanitisers.
Sterilisation of our equipment
All equipment will be cleaned and sterilised after each activity. This is for:
- bike helmets: each used helmet will be dipped for 30 minutes into a large bucket with water, dishwasher soap and bleach. It will then dry overnight. See more here: https://helmets.org/clean.htm
- cycling gloves: our cycling gloves will be washed in our washing machine at 60º C after each use. We will ask you to put the cycling gloves you used in a washing net provided by us.
- mountain bikes: after each bike tour the bikes will be washed with a mix of water, soap and bleach. This will be applied with a hand brush and washed off with a power jet. Especially the handlebar, shifters, brake handles and the seat and seat clamp will be cleaned thoroughly.
Our colleague(s) involved in the cleaning process will use clean gloves and these will be washed at 60º C at the end of the day in order to not waste too much.
During our bike and walking tours we used to stop at a tavern or café and enjoy a locally prepared lunch. We have replaced this for a stop in a village and build in a 1 hour slot of free time. We will give suggestions where to go for lunch. Alternatively you can bring your own packed lunch and sit in the village square on benches. There are public toilets with hand washing facilities.
Transport solutions that follow our coronavirus policy
Normally we offer transport for the downhill bike tours which will start at the Algarve highest point, Mount Foia at 902 mtrs. We are now in the process of reducing the price for each tour and ask you to arrange transport yourself. Perhaps you have somebody in your family or among your friends who can bring you to Foia, or the hotel has a courtesy bus, or perhaps your B&B owner can bring you. Alternatively use this link to book an Uber, or call or text the mobile number from our collaborators for a taxi:
To Be Confirmed
Please mention that you have come through Frank @ Outdoor Tours
Hygiene in our Meeting Point, Office & Bike storage
Our meeting point at the start and end of most of the bike tours is in Mexilhoeira Grande where we have a multi-functional space that serves as our garage/warehouse/office. Here our equipment is stored and we meet here for most of our tours. In our office is paper copy available of this coronavirus policy.
Hand hygiene tools
As part of our coronavirus policy we have the following in place in our office:
- Soap dispenser in our bathroom
- Self-closing tap in the bathroom, so no need to touch the tap with your clean hands
- Wall mounted tissue paper dispenser in our bathroom
- Paper bin with a swing cover, no need to touch anything
- Alcohol sanitisers at the entrance area and in our car
- See advice at NHS or WHO websites on how to best wash your hands
Although the warehouse is large enough with approx. 100 square metres, we do have a strict policy to not enter with more than 1 person at the same time. The entrance doors slide open widely up to 3 metres and we will be able to help you, even when you are standing in the door opening.
How to maintain two metre distance
We ask everyone to maintain a safe 2 metre distance between our guide(s) and other participants. During our bike tours this is doable and safe at all times.
Excluding certain participants
We do love to go cycling with you. It is our passion, and we truly believe by riding a bike it is the best way to be amazed by the beauty of nature that the interior of the Algarve has to offer.
Some people are at much greater risk from coronavirus than others. At the moment with the current government’s guidelines we have to postpone reservations from the following people:
- Everyone aged 70 or above, regardless of how healthy they are.
- People of any age with specific underlying conditions.
- People with medical conditions included
- long-term respiratory problems, such as asthma, bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD);
- heart disease, such as heart failure;
- chronic kidney or liver disease;
- neurological conditions, including Parkinson’s and MS,
- problems with the spleen, including sickle cell disease,
- anyone with a weakened immune system, such as those with HIV/Aids, or on steroids or chemotherapy.
- People who are obese, with a BMI of 40 or more,
- Those who are pregnant are also in the high-risk group.
- People who have had organ replacements and are on immuno-suppressants.
- with cancer who are on chemo- or radio-therapy, people with bone marrow or blood cancers, such as leukaemia
- with severe asthma, cystic fibrosis and other serious chest problems
- people with other serious medical conditions
Although not scientifically proven, it is known that drinking a few sips of water frequently will help to clear your throat and flush any germs down to your stomach. Here your natural stomach acids will kill them off.
As usual we provide all clients with plenty of water to drink from our cool boxes before, during and after the tour.
We believe that beer does the same, so we will still give away a free beer after every bike tour 🙂
Symptoms & change your tour
We handle a no-hassle policy for refunds should you feel you are not able to do an activity with us. See here for our cancelation policy. Should you have the symptoms of coronavirus, please contact Frank anytime to postpone or cancel your tour.
We hope this coronavirus will not affect you and your loved ones. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.
Phone/ whatsapp +351 912 120 123 🇵🇹 🇳🇱 🇬🇧 🇩🇪
Landline +351 282 969 520
There is no scientific proof in the advice below.