Via Algarviana Individual Riders
Great mountain biking through Portuguese country side
Enjoy Europe´s sunniest Mountain Bike Adventure; ride the Trans Algarve.
The route of the Trans Algarve is based on the Via Algarviana, also known as the Grande Route 13, and is leading you from the Spanish border in the East, to Europe´s most South-West cape; the Cabo São Vicente.
Originally designed as a hiking path, we have now re-designed it for mountain bike holidays and have selected the best accommodations for this MTB Trans Algarve
Every day you´ll ride 50 – 75 km and you will challenge an average of 1500 altitude meters per day. The route is mainly double tracks and offers every day some single tracks. As the Via Algarviana is designed as a hiking route, we have designed extra loops around some obstacles.
Mostly you will bike on gravel tracks through grasslands and woodlands… there is less than 1 km tarmac per day. Needless to say we will not meet much traffic nor dense population.
The Via Algarviana is relatively unknown and quiet; on an average day we encounter only 1 or 2 couples walking or biking on the tracks.
This Trans Algarve mountain bike week will challenge your physical skills and it will make an excellent (winter)training for you. These are 300 kilometers off-road fun, in one week.
MTB groups on the Trans Algarve/Via Algarviana
This mountain bike week is available at any dates for groups with a maximum of 20 riders. You can choose your own start date. We donnot recommend to bike the Via Algarviana in the months July and August. It is very hot and dusty, and accommodations have limited availablity. In case these months are your only opportunity, please do contact us for a quote and advice.
We will send you the Garmin GPS route by email before you travel to Portugal, so you can upload and install at home the complete route onto your Garmin device. The Trans Algarve is in general well signposted, but we strongly recommend to use a GPS device for reference. We have cycled the Trans Algarve ourselves many times over the past few years. The GPS route sent to you, is the result of all this experience.
The airport transfers are private and exclusive for your group. You are flexible in the time for your group transfer. On your arrival day, one free transfer to Alcoutim is included. Would you need additional transfers, feel free to request a quote with us, or see below for the price for a vehicle for 1 till 4 people.
We´ll transport your bike from/to the airport as well. We strongly advice to protect and box your bike securely. Your bike box will be stored safely and dry in our bike storage during the week. Each day we´ll deliver your luggage to the next accommodation. The van and its driver that delivers the luggage is available and stand-by for assistance during the day.
Best time of the year for riding the Trans Algarve
For this mountain bike week we recommend to avoid the busy and hot summer months July and August. The interior of the Algarve will not cool off so much as it does on the coast. Besides that, availability in the accommodations is hard to find and higher priced.
The Algarve “winter” months are great for biking, but the weather in December, January and Februari is a bit less stable. You could ride your bike in blue skies for weeks, but there are some days with occassional showers. Day temperatures are between 15 – 20º C.
We normally see that riding the Trans Algarve is the most pleasant in the months March, April, May, June and September, October and November. Day temperatures are between 20 – 30º C.
You will bike through the interior of the Portuguese Algarve. You will pass Algarve villages lost in the past, and discover amazing landscapes of the Sotavento and Barrocal, the eater and western Algarve. This route will show you the sub-tropical fauna and flora from the most interesting sites of the Algarve interior.
The overnight stays will be in rural accommodations, located in unique settings in the Portuguese countryside. Here you will rest and fill up your reserves for the next day with a healthy and nutritious diner. And, we´ll make sure there is a cold drink available when you arrive.
Arrival at Faro Airport, transfer to the hotel nearby Alcoutim. Briefing and diner.
First day on the bike; rolling hills, authentic Portugal – 63 km, + 1200 altitude meters.
Stay overnight in a local lodge nearby an old copper mine and a donkey sanctuary in Vaqueiros.
Biking through cork tree forests and beautiful farmlands. – 62 km, + 2000 altitude meters.
Stay overnight in a rural bed & breakfast, run by a fantastic chef near Baranco do Velho.
Biking to Silves, passing Salir and Alte with amazing landscapes near well known Rocha da Pena – 67 km, + 1300 altitude meters.
Stay overnight in a comfortable hotel near the river Arade, and 2 minutes walking distance to the historical centre of Silves.
Free day to relax and discover the historic town of Silves or take the train to the coast and visit the beach, Stay overnight in the same comfortable 3 star hotel near the river Rio Arade.
Climbing up the Serra de Monchique with the highest point of the Algarve – 30 km, + 2000 altitude meters. Stay overnight in a cosy bed & breakfast on the south slope of the highest mountain (Fóia – 902 mtr), with outstanding views.
Riding downhill the Serra de Monchique, our trail will lead you to Europe´s most south west point, Cabo São Vicente – 95 km, + 1100 altitude meters.
Transfer to buzzing Lagos and time to look back to a fantastic week of biking, in one of the many bars in the old centre of surf town Lagos. Stay overnight in a comfortable 3 star hotel near the centre.
Transfer at your preferred time back to Faro Airport. End of a great mountain bike week.
Is the Trans Algarve my tour?
This trip is suitable for everyone between 14 – 70 years with mountain bike experience and a good fitness level. Although it´s more a social then a competitive event, please make sure that you and you´re equipment are in excellent condition for this demanding week. We assume that when you book this holiday, you have already some mountain bike experience, and that you will not join this tour to learn to ride, or see it as a try out.
Our bike guides and team members hold valid First Aid certificates and know the quickest ways to emergency health services. We have an excellent safety record, and it´s our ambition to keep it like that.
Fitness level required between nº 3 – 4, technical level required D, see our levels explained here.
Check below our friendly prices for your favourite month of mountain biking on the Trans Algarve in Portugal. These prices are for groups of minimum 8 participants. Are you with a smaller or larger group, or do you wish to ride longer or shorter? Please contact us for a quote.
For example when you are 10 riders or more, we offer the whole group a tasty meal on the first day in Alcoutim! For groups of 14+ riders we have another interesting offer, just drop us an email to see how much you can save.
January + February + March + April + May: EUR 599
June + September: EUR 699
October + November + December: EUR 599
Prices are per person and per trip in Euros.
– day 1: one private transfer for your group and your MTB´s from Faro Airport to Alcoutim (departure time from Faro chosen by you)
– day 6: private transfer for your group together on the last riding day from Sagres to Lagos & free transportation of your MTB´s
– day 8: one private transfer for your group from Lagos to Faro Airport & free transportation of your MTB (departure time from Lagos chosen by you)
– 7 nights staying in rural hotels or lodges, based on sharing a room with 1 other person (on days 2, 3 you might be sharing your room with 2 other people, depending on groups size and availability)
– most accommodations have internet access, but some do charge for it
– every day a healthy breakfast with lots of fruits and energy
– a tasty diner, full of carbo hydrates and vegetables on day 2, day 3 and day 6
– every day luggage transportation to the next accommodation
– updated GPS route for your Garmin device
– a support car is stand-by
– MTB rental for your size is now available at € 115 for the 6 riding days, see specs here >>
– lunches in local tavernes in the Algarve interior, allow yourself € 10 – 15 per day
– diners on days except when included
– energy snacks during the day
– drinking water to fill up your Camelbak or bottles
– drinks during the diners when not included
– personal expenses
– travel insurance for personal accidents and repatriation (Outdoor-Tours.com offers this at € 12 for the week per person, minimum insurance conditions accordingly to Portuguese law)
In case you wish to arrive earlier or stay longer in the Algarve we can arrange extra nights, and book an extra private transfer for you and your bike:
– extra private airport taxi to Alcoutim at € 120 for max 4 people including 4 bikes
– extra private airport taxi from Lagos to Faro at € 96 for max 4 people including 4 bikes
– 3 star hotel Monte Mar in Lagos:
– January, February, March, April, May + October, November & December:
– Twin room inc breakfast € 49,00 per night per room
– Single room inc breakfast € 37,50 per night per room
– June + September:
– Twin room inc breakfast € 59,50 per night per room
– Single room inc breakfast € 47,00 per night per room
– Contact us with the dates and the number of participants for your pre-booking
– We will confirm availability and the total cost and payment options
– After we have received your 30 % deposit the booking is confirmed
– See our conditons page for booking & cancelation conditions
– Rates and programme are subject to alteration without prior notice